Friday, February 8, 2008

Things that bounce around in my Head

Okay, a bit of backround for this next post to fully apprieciate the humor-then again I just might be a little "off".

I like to say that I spent my "formative years" in the greatest city on earth- New York- I lived there from 1980-1983 on Governor's Island which was in the the harbour of the tip of Manhattan and in between, Brooklyn and its bridge, Staten Island and the Statue of Libery. It was a Coast Guard base and that is where my family was stationed for 3 years. I loved the city, it is my home and one of only 3 places in the states where I feel complete to my core in an environmental harmony sort of way.

That said my folks took advantage of the things that great place had to offer and my tender years were not held against me. From the time I was 4 and a half to when we left at 7 and a half I was taken to shows on and off Broadway, Radio City Music Hall's annual Easter and Christmas show (back when they were called that), stuff at the MSG (Madison Square Garden), Museums, walks around the city and back then NYC was not the lovely place to visit and no one in their right mind walk around TImes Square. I love that city! My mom saw Andrew Llyod Webber's "Evita" with Patti LuPone (?) while we lived there and my mother loves ALW stuff so I grew up with original cast soundtracks of Cats, Evita, Jesus Christ SuperStar, and later Phantom of the Opera in the house. So now the stage is set for the rest of this post.

While watching John McCain yesterday at CPAC I could not help but hear in my head "Don't Cry for me, Argentina" while he was making his trite attempt at addressing his not so conservative but I am a conservative and here's why speech. I admit the song in my head drown out most of what he said and after a while it got to be too much and I turned off the TV.
Want to know what the song sounded like- I am not Webber and this was developed as the notes played in my head so I am not expecting a Grammy or anything- but it made me giggle.
Here is John McCain's tribute to Don't Cry for Me Argentina.

"Don't Cry for me, My Fellow Conservatives,
The truth is I had to leave you, Althrough my Senate days, I wanted attention of the Democrats, Please forgive me, my Indescression.....(I could go on but I just end with the last lines of the song as I did not spend that much time on it as I am a mom with 3 little children and a 200 lb dog)...Yes, I am a Maverick, I have nothing more to say to you, all you have to do is look at my record to know EVERY WORD IS TRUE! ...gigantic Music cressendo.

This is what my husband puts up with. Now you need to go sample the Evita soundtrack to get the feel for the song if you are not familiar.

Now on to Mitt Romney. I liked him since last summer when he was here in South Carolina-felt that he was genuine and had good ideas for the future of the nation and was happy with shared values. (Yes, I am Mormon-yes the family got a picture with Mitt and eventually I will post the picture) He exitted with grace and a general concern for the direction of this Republican party and nation (insert your comments here about the bigot southern baptist so full of drivel here). That type of character cannot be learned, acted or bought. It is cultivated over the course of one's life- your upbringing. I hope that Gov. Romney stays in the conservative scene and gives it another attempt. His two big speeches- the one's delivered yesturday and the Faith in America speech reminded me of the great one, Ronald Reagan. Those convictions were not just fluff tailored to an audience. It was crafted by a person who believed what he was writting. That is something yet to be seen by McCain or Huckabee.
PS- If there are spelling errors- sorry just had to write this quick entry and still new at this and all the buttons.

No comments: